The end of Evo’s Long Winter's Nap is upon us, and brand new episodes of Podcast Pontifications return on January 4th, 2021! I know you’re excited.
I know I was excited to take a long break. I’m a huge proponent of regularly scheduled breaks in podcasting and counsel all of my clients to do the same. That runs counter to what some podcasting pundits will tell you. But mental health is important to me, so I’m willing to buck the trend.
Even though I’ve been on break since the end of October, regular listeners to the program still heard new episodes—albeit not with as much frequency—courtesy of some other working podcasters who lent their voices while I was away. No, they weren’t in the newsletter. I didn’t make them create a live video recording Podcast Pontifications featuring themselves. And I didn’t ask them to write an in-depth article for posting here on the site. But you heard their voices, assuming you’re subscribed to Podcast Pontifications in a podcast listening app. If not, remedy that situation, because you missed great content from:
- Patrick Oliver Jones from the podcast, Why I’ll Never Make It, with three innovative ways borrowed from his time in the theater to help you get “unstuck” when you’re
- running out of podcasting ideas.
- Steph Fuccio from The Geopats Podcasts explained why every podcast has a local aspect—even if you think you have a global audience—and offered advice on how you can help those listeners who aren’t right next door.
- Kevin Patton of the podcasts The A&P Professor and The Academic Podcaster, and honest-to-goodness lion tamer, demonstrated a simple way for you to be a nicer critic when listening to other shows.
- Mark Steadman of the podcast hosting, distribution, and analytics company Podiant shared his thoughts on the long-lasting impact the pandemic will have on podcasting.
- Bryan Barletta of the adtech newsletter, Sounds Profitable wants you to stress less when contemplating adding advertising to your podcast.
- And Tim Desmond of the podcast RevolutionFI provided some support to the seasoned podcaster with a brand new show starting from zero.
A big, big thanks to all of them for lending your voices while I was away. Also, I'll be taking another break during the month of June and will again open the mic to other working podcasters just like you. If you’re interested, go ahead and get in touch with me for some easy-to-follow guidelines. Might as well work ahead, right?
You might have also noticed a brand new logo for Podcast Pontifications. More than that, it’s actually a professionally-designed logo, which I commissioned from the talented graphic designer Nik Gill. I think it’s brilliant and captures the Zen-like feeling I'm trying to conjure with Podcast Pontifications episodes as I help you ponder sometimes straightforward questions yet often deep philosophical questions about life as and the future of a working podcaster.
Also, I’ve made a new Twitter account just for Podcast Pontifications. My personal Twitter account will be the main place I engage, but this new show-specific Twitter account will let me do some experimenting with social sharing tools. Sure, I could do that on @evoterra as well, but I don’t want to annoy everyone with my playing around. Expect notices of when new episodes are posted, perhaps advanced warning of live recording sessions, and some innovative ways to repurpose content from each episode.
That's it for this “I’m almost back” episode. I hope you and yours have/had a happy solstice, a Merry Christmas, a happy new year, and whatever else you might choose to celebrate, observe, or just look forward to this time of year.
But most importantly: Here's to 2021. There’s no way it can be worse than 2020, right? Let's hope.
I shall be back on Monday, January 4th, 2021 for yet another Podcast Pontifications.